Tuesday, November 17, 2015

So What NOW - Hong Kong pt 3

I was supposed to meet everyone for the first round of drinks for the Island School reunion in Lan Kwai Fong by 7 pm ish,  The streets were teeming with people, my phone was going crazy with messages "where are you?", "are you close by?", "are you lost?".. Pfftt I can do this , I just have to get into the side roads, duck and weave, duck and weave,  and finally I think I'm on the right strip.  I look up the street and all I see are hundreds of bars, restaurants and more people, a bit winded by the uphill hike in my heels, I walk in to the diner and everyone is talking, and greeting each other, clinking glasses, hugging each other, thumping each other's backs and generally realigning the past with the present.


My buddies Lynda and Annie in Lan Kwai Fong
A couple more people come up and say hi, they're asking me how work is, telling me how proud they are of what I've achieved in broadcasting, and what I'm doing now.  " Well, I have no idea yet, it's only been a week since the last day of work so I guess I'll figure it out when I get back to KL"  I tell them, they all seem surprised.  Well no more than I was with the station closing down.


Drinks Menu!
After the meet and greet I wanted to see the place I used to hang out in and where I used to spin, AH! Club 1997 was there but it's not the same, and boy do they serve a wicked martini!!  Oh and if you're there ask them for a drink called "grenade" he he h he.. That blew me a away!!  We had to leave at a decent hour because the next day we were taking a boat out to one of the outlying islands for seafood lunch and more hanging out.
Star Ferry?
My goodness I've not walked as much since I was meandering around Stonehenge in the UK!  The next day as I drew closer to what used to be Star Ferry, I saw so many docks, and I wasn't keeling over from the smell, they've really done a great job cleaning up our Fragrant Harbour.
On De Boaattt
The boat ride was fun, the seafood lunch was stellar and afterwards we pushed off from there,  to dock at  another one of the bays for a swim. It was a tremendous day, but I had an inkling my friends were wondering what I was going to do after this trip. I was figuring it out, and  later that evening as we pulled closer to Aberdeen,  I stood at the prow of the boat to look up at the stars and thought, I've missed being here, missed having so many wonderful , loving and supportive people who knew the real me.   We docked as close as possible to the Yacht club and all of us (I'd say around 20 or so ) invaded the club.   We were told that we had to keep the noise down if we wanted to stay inside.. ha ha ha ha, that' s like saying 'here's some firecrackers, don't light them up!'  Another great night (though I was tired and sliding down the chair fast)  , without being kicked out from the club!  That's all thanks to Dod my  Rutherford classmate who organised everything for us.


Chillin after the swim
The Jumbo floating Rest
The next get together would be for dinner at the American Chinese Restaurant, an old haunt and the menu  is  still the same!  I was clutching my sides with laughter as we walked towards the restaurant after having met up at a bar opposite it, as one of the "seedier" bars that we used to sneak into as teens was still there,  the "crazy horse"!  Oh the memories!

Dinner was delicious, loud, full of fun and laughter and afterwards we headed over to a club that had live music.  Between the raucous cheers and being dragged to the dance floor, my good friend Annie asked me again what I was going to do when I got back to Malaysia.   A germ of an idea was taking place but I had a few more nights of having fun with my former classmates so I wasn't going to sweat it just yet. The next day we were going back to our school for a tour of what it looked like now.
Still sitting at the back still causing mischief!
When we walked about our former school the next day,  I thought how the attitudes of the  current students had changed, they were more studious and more inclined to do the right thing.. shudder.. whereas we were a mad bunch who had been to detention at least once!! We learned that they were gong to pull the old school down and rebuild a new one, so the trip was even more poignant.

My final day came too soon, and I wanted to have dinner with  Peter, my stepfather, Mark and Sylvia my hosts and my bestie Annie and her man Den at the best Peking Duck place ever  Peking Gardens in Star House.  I stuffed my face silly, as I knew I'd not get food this good for a while!  (what? I wore elasticated pants, I was prepared!)

Leaving Hong Kong was a tearful affair, but a really good boost to the ego and soul,  I came back more positive and determined and I think it translated into my attitude because when I returned a lot of calls started coming in for work.

Back in KL, between bouts of discussion and watching the Rugby World Cup  (GO ALL BLACKS!),  my pal Riz and I  had a chat.  She convinced me that I should talk about my experiences as that are so many women out there going through the same situation.  We formulated an idea,  and it made me feel good as it would help women in the same situation I was facing, understand that there were so many options to what they could do.

This is one of the reasons I decided to start blogging again, and with that , I'm gong to get a few contributors to also add their blogs for you women out there to help you understand the opportunities that are available, the financial aspects of your world, the products that are available and also a platform where we can talk about the products that you want to retail online, as well simplifying technology so you can optimise it and understand it without feeling like you must be the only one in the world who doesn't understand the geek speak!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a detailed story, little Daphe. Spoke to Carol last night, for an entire hour. We enjoy discussing all the dirt, on everyone. hahaha

Dx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dx said...

HEH, I have an even more detailed post that will be published later for the benefit of the Islanders.. mmm Hong Kong 2.5 !